What are your go-to snacks for school, park days, zoo trips, or other? So many moms struggle with this! How can we keep the healthy snacks going all year long? Here are some ideas from myself, other moms, and one
really thorough food educational site: Food Insight.
- Turkey and Hummus Wrap: It’s as simple as that! Lay a whole wheat tortilla flat, lather it up with some hummus, put a slice or two of deli turkey on it, add any veggies your kiddos enjoy (and maybe even a few sprinkles of their favorite cheese), roll it up, and TA DA! You have yourself a beautiful Turkey and Hummus Wrap fit for a kiddo!
2. Fruit Medley: Each type of fruit is always more exciting when it has a bunch of friends around it. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s have a fruit party! Grab a small tupperware container, and add mandarine orange slices, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, and whatever else you can think up.
3. Banana & Peanut Butter Sandwich or Wrap: Spread natural peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla or whole wheat bread, slice bananas onto the peanut butter, and either roll it up or cover it with another piece of whole wheat bread.
4. Hard Boiled Eggs: Yup, that’s it… hard boiled eggs. 🙂 You can take off the shell, or leave it partially covered so they get to peel it off. If you do it that way, you can also color on the egg shell so they get to see your pretty artwork or read your nice note.
5. Egg and Veggie Roll: make an omelet-like mixture, pour it into a non-stick or lightly sprayed pan, and let it harden up. Remove. Once it cools, roll it up!
6. Turkey, Carrot and Asparagus Roll-up: Cut the carrot into a long thin shape (like an asparagus shape). Steam the veggies – ensure they are soft, but not falling apart. Wrap the deli turkey slice around the two veggies. Option: spread some cream cheese on the turkey before rolling up. This will help it stick to the veggies.
7. Rice Cake with Peanut Butter and Raisins: Spread peanut butter (or another nut, soy, or seed butter) on your rice cake and sprinkle with raisins.
8. Cucumber Cheese Sandwiches: Skin and slice cucumbers into circles, put a slice of cheese or spread non-fat cream cheese, and cover with another slice of cucumber. If you use regular cheese, you might need to put a dull toothpick through the sandwich.
And, lastly, here’s a sweeeet infographic with MORE ideas from Food Insight: